It’s an exciting time to join the Oakland Group, we’re a technically excellent tech start-up with a long history in operational excellence. In the past 18 months, we’ve seen huge growth and we’ve exciting plans for the future.
We work a wonderful range of clients from the likes of Vodafone and Network Rail, through to Series-A funded start-ups, bringing together leading edge thinking to uncover valuable insights from data, solving real-world, difficult problems and driving cultural change.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our talented and passionate team, we’re still small enough for everyone’s voice to be heard and for you to forge your path and play an essential role in the growth of our business.
The Technical Consultant role will form part of our highly talented Engineering function, with a specific focus on working with clients at the proof-of-concept stage.
You will work as the initial engagement lead on new projects, using your expert technical knowledge to architect and build working POC solutions in line with client requirements, before working along side Oakland delivery teams to turn the an initial POC in to scalable production grade solutions.
Ideally, you’ll have a background commercial software engineering and analytics as well as a record of delivering production-grade applications in line with client needs.
The technology we use varies between clients so although we value specialists, we encourage our engineers to become technology polyglots and provide training and mentoring to support with this. This means an appetite to learn is a must!
You’ll have an excellent understanding of application architectures and as well as a love for programming, being happy to roll up your sleeves and immerse yourself in code when required.
This role is highly customer facing so an ability to communicate with business leaders at all levels is critical. You’ll have hands on delivery experience across multiple sectors and wider understanding of underpinning business processes.
We always choose the right tool for the job so we look for Engineers with a mix (but not all) of the below:
- Proven experience in one or more common languages employed in data systems, e.g. Python, R
- Demonstrable experience in Data Mining, Cleansing, Data Metrics and an understanding of machine learning principles and libraries.
- Experience in production-grade applications in a cloud environment (AWS, Azure or GCP)
- Familiarity with Relational Database systems e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Aurora etc.
- Knowledge of big data technologies such as: Kafka, Spark, Kinesis etc.
- An understanding of Data Warehouse principles
- Knowledge of CI/CD practices and infrastructure as code
- Can work across full-stack and know basic stack to do this. e.g Postgres, Flask or C# MVC, React
- Source code management systems such as Git
- 25 days holidays (excluding bank holidays)
- Private Healthcare
- Pension (we put in 10%)
- Bonus £
- Employee assistance (Inc. Gym & Wellbeing)
- Life Insurance