It’s an exciting time to join the Oakland Group, we’re a technically excellent tech start-up with a long history in operational excellence. In the past 18 months, we’ve seen huge growth and we’ve exciting plans for the future.
We work a wonderful range of clients from the likes of Vodafone and Network Rail, through to Series-A funded start-ups, bringing together leading edge thinking to uncover valuable insights from data, solving real-world, difficult problems and driving cultural change.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our talented and passionate team, we’re still small enough for everyone’s voice to be heard and for you to forge your path, playing an essential role in the growth of our business.
This is a hands-on technical role and you’ll be providing technical leadership on projects, from determining the technical direction to making choices on tech stack and tools. Supporting and leading the delivery team you will also play a key role in developing client relationships and may support the sales and business development team.
As we specialise in data and analytics, we are looking for a passionate dev who is excited by new tech and is able to mentor and lead the team delivering technical leadership across a range of different projects. It might not always be easy so you must be tenacious in your problem solving and working your way through our client’s challenges.
Dealing with ambiguity is a critical part of the job, as well as helping the client and internal team focus on specific problem statements and use cases.
We are looking for Engineers who are excited by the ability to work across different problems, projects and clients and who genuinely cares about the end to end data space (including engineering, science, quality, analytics and BI).
You’ll be a programmer at heart with a passion for code, as well as an understanding of application architectures.
The technology we use varies between clients so although we value specialists, we encourage our engineers to become technology polyglots and provide training and mentoring to support with this. This means an appetite to learn is a must!
You’ll have hands on delivery experience across multiple sectors and wider understanding of underpinning business processes. Our Senior Developers work closely with Oakland clients so experience working with business stakeholders is hugely advantageous.
- The technical leadership of delivery projects using a range of tech
- Leading the technical design of data projects
- Defining and designing architecture at a Logical, Physical and Conceptual level
- Team mentoring and day to day management of multi-disciplinary technical teams
- Understanding clients’ needs, you will need the ability to interpret business problems and help articulate how they can get the most value from their data
- Creation of new innovative ideas to solve real life problems
- Strong commercial awareness and ability to motivate the team and keep morale high even when deadlines are tight and the workload demanding
- Great client engagement skills with an ability to build trusted relationships and influence technical decision making
You will fulfil some or all of the following specification:
- You will have had experience in a similar role and will have had the responsibility of delivering a wide range of projects
- An understanding of Cloud solution Architecture (Azure/GCP/AWS)
- Experience building production-grade applications in the cloud
- Experience working with structured & unstructured data
- Pipeline build & deployment experience using modern tools: AWS CodePipeline, Azure DevOps, Jenkins
- Spark, Kafka and serverless software knowledge
- Knowledge of Database, Data Warehouse and Data Lake principles
- An appreciation of the end to end data space, including: engineering, science, quality, analytics and BI
- An appreciation and understanding of ReactJS & NodeJS would be beneficial
- Experience and desire to mentor technical team members
- Our values are important to us, we want to work with people who feel the same
- Here we Oakland we often refer to ourselves 35 year old start-up. You’ll join a small ‘start-up’ team (backed by over 30+ year old consultancy), who are solving complex operational problems with bleeding edge data and tech.
- We’re officially one of the Top 30 Consultancies and Top 100 small businesses to work for in the UK
- You will be given the opportunity to work across different problems, projects and clients, giving you exposure to multiple industries and tech.
- We’re working towards becoming a Certified B corporation, meaning we meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose.
- Due to our size and culture, every voice is heard so you’ll always have the opportunity to influence and your thoughts and opinions genuinely count.
- Our team is incredibly passionate about data, they work hard but we have plenty of socials so we can all play hard too!
- We have a great benefits package including private healthcare, contributory pension scheme, wellbeing programme and equally important – great coffee!
- Central location in the heart of Leeds
- 25 days holidays (excluding bank holidays)
- Private Healthcare
- Pension (we put in 10% if you put in 5%)
- Bonus £££
- Cycle2work scheme
- Matched giving scheme (up to £1000 per employee)
- Employee assistance (Inc. Gym & Wellbeing)
- Flexible working
- Life Assurance
- Exceptional training and development opportunities