The Oakland Group is a fast growing, modern consulting company who operate at the intersection of people, process and technology. As Data specialists, we work across the full data ecosystem including; Strategy & Governance, Architecture, Engineering and Advanced Analytics.
Founded in 1986 out of our Leeds HQ, we work a wonderful range of clients ranging from FTSE 100 Telco’s to Series-A funded start-ups, regularly punching above our weight due to our obsession with quality and client satisfaction.
It’s an exciting time to join the Oakland Group. Not only have we been named one of the Top Small Business’ and Top Consultancies to work for in the UK, w’re also committed to ensuring our employees are given opportunities to grow both personally and professionally and are rewarded fairly for their incredible work.
Due to exponential growth over the past 18 months, we have a number of opportunities across each of our talented and passionate teams. We’re still small enough for everyone’s voice to be heard whilst working with some of the worlds most recognised brands.
The Technical Consultant role will form part of our highly talented Engineering function, with a specific focus on working with clients throughout their product lifecycles.
You will work as the initial engagement lead on new projects, using your expert technical knowledge to architect and build working solutions in line with the client requirement, before handing over to Delivery teams for enterprise build.
Ideally, you’ll have a background commercial software engineering and analytics as well as a record of delivering production-grade applications in line with client needs.
The technology we use varies between clients so although we value specialists, we encourage our engineers to become technology polyglots and provide training and mentoring to support with this. This means an appetite to learn is a must!
You’ll have an excellent understanding of application architectures and as well as a love for programming, being happy to roll up your sleeves and immerse yourself in code when required.
This role is highly customer facing so an ability to communicate with business leaders at all levels is critical. You’ll have hands on delivery experience across multiple sectors and wider understanding of underpinning business processes.
- Proven experience in one or more common languages employed in data systems, e.g. Python, SQL
- Demonstrable experience in Data Mining, Cleansing, Data Metrics and an understanding of machine learning principles and libraries.
- Experience in production-grade applications in an Azure cloud environment
- Experience working with Azure data technologies eg. Databricks, Data Factory, blob stores, Azure networking.
- Experience working Azure applications such as: Webapps, ASE, Functions.
- Azure DevOps – Desirable
- Knowledge of event driven architecture would be desirable.
- Familiarity with Relational Database systems e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Aurora etc.
- Knowledge of big data technologies such as: Kafka, Spark, Kinesis etc.
- A understanding of Data Warehouse principles.
- Knowledge of CI/CD practices and infrastructure as code (Azure DevOps desirable)
- An appreciation of full stack, e.g. Postgres, Flask or C# MVC, React
- Source code management systems such as Git
- A vibrant, growing company built on solid foundations 🚀 – Here we Oakland we often refer to ourselves 35 year old start-up. You’ll join a small ‘start-up’ team (backed by over 30+ year old consultancy), who are solving complex operational problems with bleeding edge data and tech;
- Best place to work 🏆 – We’re officially one of the Top 30 Consultancies and Top 100 small businesses to work for in the UK;
- Interesting and varied work 💭 – You will be given the opportunity to work across different problems, projects and clients, giving you exposure to multiple industries and tech;
- Corporate responsibility 🌍 – We are a Certified B corporation, meaning we meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose;
- We hear you 👂🏻 – As we are still small and boutique you have the opportunity to influence and your thoughts and opinions genuinely count;
- Amazing team culture 👩👩👦👦 – Our team is incredibly passionate about data, they work hard but we have plenty of socials so we can all play hard too;
- We ❤️ Charity – We love to give back and support each employee’s charitable efforts through our company wide matched giving scheme;
- Fantastic benefits 💥 – We have a great benefits package including private healthcare, contributory pension scheme, wellbeing programme and equally important – great coffee;
- Leeds 🌆- Central location in the heart of Leeds.
- Private Healthcare
- Pension (we put in 10% if you put in 5%)
- Bonus £££
- 25 days holidays (excluding bank holidays)
- Cycle2work scheme
- Matched giving scheme (up to £1000 per employee)
- Employee assistance (Inc. Gym & Wellbeing)
- Flexible working
- Life Insurance
- Exceptional training and development opportunities